Saturday, December 31, 2005

The End of a Great Year, Ready for 2006!

Hello,

It has been such a great year. I feel so greatful to have been able to share it with you. I just finished entering my entire journal from my trip to Calcutta, so if you haven't been here in a while, check it out (11 entries in all). It was an amazing trip. The day after I got back I was back in Ann Arbor for the Go Like The Wind Christmas Concert. In case I haven't mentioned it before, Go Like the Wind is a school where I teach general music to 4th-7th graders. In the weeks leading up to Calcutta, we had been working on the music for the concert. I was concerned about leaving the students for two weeks before the show, but thankfully, Steve Osburn took over for me while I was gone and helped to put it all together. He also works as a music teacher at the school, and is responsible for me being hired there, in addition, he is the owner of Oz's Music where I teach all my private lessons, workshops, and classes. I think we will be working together much more in the future.
When I walked into the school the students were rehearsing the show. Doug Collier, the principal was directing and telling the kids to be quiet, but as soon as I walked in they were all distracted and waiving. It felt good to be back, and it was great to see everyone so into the performance. Thinking back on it now, it seems almost like a dream. I was feeling the jet lag, and felt like I was running on Coffee alone, but I do remember that I couldn't stop smiling.

The next day my wife and I went up to Marquette, MI. to relax and enjoy the holidays with my family. It was so nice to be home after this big trip. I ran into alot of friends and fellow musicians. There are so many great musicians from Marquette that are all out in the world doing so many great things, and it feels great to be able to come home and share our stories. I have a friend Jared Smith who is in L.A. playing music and doing great things, he actually recorded a track on Ry Cooders last album Chavez Ravine, which, I think is up for a Grammy. I have a friend Ryan Staples in Chicago who is in the process of building his own recording studio, and then there is Mike Waite, Ryan Mahoney, Emily Jack and others who are all playing and singing all over the country. I am inspired and motivated by them all. My sister Evelyn was also home from a year and a half with the Peace Corps in Namibia, Africa, so we had a lot of catching up to do. As I sit here, (home in Linden), I feel refreshed, rested, inspired, energized, and ready for the new year. I will be kicking it off with the Gratitude Steel Band once again at the same church we played at last new years eve.

I have absolutely loved this blog and I hope to keep it up. I hope you have enjoyed reading it as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Thanks for reading, and I will talk to you soon!

John

No comments: