Saturday, July 16, 2005

LifeFest, Theft, Gigs, Gigs, Gigs

Hello,

What a week it has been! Last weekend I played with Gratitude at Lifefest in Oshkosh, WI. It was a huge Christian rock festival meant to showcase the mainstream Christian rock bands that are out there today. Of coarse it came with a lot of praising and preaching, but the main focus was the music. Gratitude got the gig because one of the bands backed out 2 weeks before, and the guy who was putting on the whole thing just happened to be speaking at the Mackinac Island show we were playing at. We brought a full 10 piece band and played for a total of 55 Minutes. 10 minutes on Sunday morning for their opening service, and a 45 minute set on one of the side stages. It was a huge event. Over the weekend they estimated about 75,000 attendees. They paid REALLY well, and every other band we saw backstage had a huge tour bus and trailer to match. The money floating around in this religious world was no joke. I thought it was funny that the whole thing was put on by the "Life Corporation". I am all for the freedom of religion, but when you add so much money to the mix, I must admit, I become a bit skeptical about what is being done with it.
So anyway, after Oshkosh was over, I headed back home with a quick stop in Chicago to say hi to some friends and discuss a wedding band that we are forming for a friends upcoming wedding in our hometown of Marquette, MI. Chicago is a great city, full of life, clean(er) air, and great food. I love to visit. I spent the night and made it back to Ann Arbor just in time for some lessons and the hand drum workshop.
The rest of the week went pretty smooth, I got my new business cards, started prepairing for my first student recital, and even practiced a bit. Everything was cool, until Thursday. I was in Ann Arbor teaching at Oz's when someone went into my car, (yes, I left it unlocked), and took my big C.D. case which contained all the C.D.'s that I had bought in India. Not to mention some discs that were from friend's bands, and a few tapes of the first band I was ever in. It was heartbreaking. I am still not quite over it. I lament even the case itself. I had it since high school, and it has been in every vehicle I have ever owned, filled with all the music I am listening to at the time. Oh well, what can ya do!
Yesterday I played two gigs. One with Gratitude at a fancy golf club in West Bloomfield, where we played for the cocktail hour of some celebration for the club, then I high-tailed it to Ann Arbor where I did the Cafe Felix gig with Deep Blue for the first time in over a month. I had Jesse, one of my long-time students, set up my small Sonor kit at Felix so I could start on time. All in all, it was a good night, and it kept my mind off my recent loss. Tonight I play with Gratitude agian in South Lyon, MI. I don't know what it is for, but I am sure I will keep you posted.

Thanks for reading,

John

No comments: