Friday, June 24, 2005

Summer 2005

Wow, it has been a long time since my last entry. I took a trip to Los Angeles to see some old friends and to attend the CalArts "Return to the Mothership" reunion party. It was a great time. I finally got to see my friend Jared's band "Vagenius" perform, and even did a little camping up at Mammoth Lakes. My friend Ryan helped me get my web site updated and running slick, and the rest of the time I just sat back and relaxed. Now I'm back in Michigan and right back at it. Tomorrow I play 2 shows with Gratitude Steel Band in Fenton and then we drive up to Macinnac Island for a 3 day gig at a Lutheren childerens summer camp. I am not sure what to expect, but I am looking forward to the time on the Island. Man, since graduating from CalArts in 2001 and moving back to Michigan I have hardly traveled, and now when I look back at the last 3 months I must say that I have made up for it in a big way. I don't know what it is about getting up, moving, and seeing the world that is so appealing, but it is like a craving that grows with every trip. One of the most wonderful things about being a musician is that no matter where you go in the world there is always music there. Seeing the different perspectives and modes of creation is such a liberating and eye opening experience. Taking the trips to India and L.A. have really made me appreciate the rich and diverse musical culture that I am blessed to be a part of here in Michigan. There are not many places in the world where you can play the drums in a jazz trio, walk down the road a bit and play Indian Classical music, and the next day be in a carribean band doing the limbo rock. I am proud to say that I love what I do and I ecspecially love the ability to share what I do with so many different people. I have no idea what the future holds, but whatever it may be, good or bad, I feel like I know what it means to be a happy guy, and I can't ask for anything else.

I hope this doesn't sound to whimsical. It's just that I have been enduring a very heavy, hard, and demanding work load for a while and I have been waiting for a time that I can say, in all honesty, that I am truly happy. I feel like this blog is the perfect spot to say it out loud, and I thank you for reading it.

John

No comments: