Sunday, January 16, 2005

Wind Symphony

Hello,

Right now I am sitting backstage at a University of Michigan-Flint Wind Symphony concert. I play on just two pieces, so I am doing a lot of sitting around. It is relatively new for me to be in a group as big as this. I think there are about 30 members, 7 of whom are percussionists. We have to do a lot of part splitting just so everyone has a chance to play. I am used to sitting behind an instrument for hours at a show. Here I play for a total of about 5 minutes. It is definitely a powerful 5 minutes though. I am playing snare drum on Carl Orff's 'Carmina Birana'. We are being joined by almost 100 high school honors band members, so the sound is huge. I will leave an audio clip so you can hear what it sounds like from the percussionists perspective.

Talk to you soon.

John

No comments: